Latin Name: Carthamus tinctorius
Plant Family: Asteraceae (Compositae)
Extraction: Cold expression of the seeds
Light oil for body massage, Safflower is an unsaturated oil which is a very pale yellow and had a makeup similar to Sunflower oil, it is helpful for eczema and rough skin.
A tall annual plant that resembles a thistle with red and orange flowers, hence its English name which is a shortened form of the Saffron flower. It is related to lettuce, sunflower, artichoke, chicory and daisy. It is a plant of antiquity and has always been highly regarded. The seeds have been discovered in Egyptian tombs up to 3000 years old and both the flowers and seeds are used in the dying of materials.
Available in 100ml, 500ml, 1000ml and 5000ml
- Helpful against eczema and rough skin
- Helpful in cases of bronchial asthma and nephrosis
- Reputed to have diuretic properties
- Can aid in the prevention of chronic degenerative diseases such as arteriosclerosis and arthritis (Bartram 1996)
- In cosmetic use, safflower oil is used in the creation of creams and lotions to soften the skin and hair conditioners
(Len & Shirley Price: Carrier Oils for Aromatherapy & Massage 4th Edition)
No known contraindications and is a safe cosmetic ingredient (Winter 1990 p.378)
Safflower Oil Safety Data Sheet