According to a new WHO study:
Depression rates are significantly higher in affluent nations. Cases of major depression are on the rise throughout the world. The study concludes that depression is a severe global problem that will change from being the world’s fourth leading cause of disability worldwide to being the second leading cause of disability by 2020.
2020 so far has been a very tough, the points above where made before this year and who knew what was going to unfold in 2020. We have tried to help out any way we can by offering recipes, blends and advice using Aromatherapy to help combat feeling of anxiety, stress and depression. Our previous blog on Anxiety and Aromatherapy explores different Essential Oils and Carriers to combat this and why they help. Fundamentally understanding particular essential oils can be a huge aid. In our previous blog Aromatherapy for Anxiety
Essential oils are complex and made up of lots of different chemical constituents. Therefore aromatherapy can help positively affect your hormone production, brain chemistry, and stress levels. It can help to look at the chemical constituents when choosing Essential Oils to help combat depression and stress.
Emotionally Monoterpenes can be balancing to a person with unstable emotional states, the stimulating element helps a person to move on from a difficult time, cleansing and purifying
When being used for the emotions sesquiterpenes can be calming to the nerves and help to bring down anger, hate and fear
Emotionally alcohols can help a person feel protected and give them the courage they need to express themselves or to move on from a situation.
Physically phenols are very powerful stimulants and this works the same on the mind, due to the power they often stimulate new thoughts and perspective
Aldehydes are very calming to the nerves and emotions whereas other components are stimulating they are more nurturing to the mind.
Ketones must be used cautiously due to toxicity. Emotionally ketones are more sedative and calming so suit a hyper mind, they help to cleanse the mind and enable moving forward.
Esters are very good for relieving the mind of guilt or embarrassment and helps heal those worries. They too help with irritation, anger and unreasonable behaviour.
Emotionally oxides are cooling so help with fraught feelings, physically they are expectorant and they can also help the mind to dispose of unwanted feelings and aid clarity of the mind.
Here a few recipes from our previous Aromatherapy for Aniexty
A few housekeeping points:
- Never use essential oils internally, EVER.
- Never apply essential oils undiluted to the skin
- Use an electric diffuser as these are safer. However, if you are using a water-based diffuser, clean the container daily. Standing water can breed bacteria and mould, and you don’t want to diffuse that into the air your family is breathing
- Always buy your oils from a reputable supplier who can offer advice and help along your journey
- Do not replace medical treatment with essential oils. If you are taking medication and you would like to try out the impact of essential oils, contact a professional aromatherapist (registered with the International Federation of Professional Aromatherapists (IFPA), or the International Federation of Aromatherapists (IFA), or the Federation of Holistic Practitioners (FHT), as these therapists, will have studied to clinical levels.
Recipe for anxiety for 10mls of pure oil
Anxiety & Tension (on-going stress)
Please see our Dilution Guide for help when mixing and bending recipes.